Monday, February 2, 2015

Family Tree FHE

Our theme for this month's FHE lessons is Family History. We focused on the family tree tonight.

We started by singing 'Family History - I Am Doing It' from the Children's songbook. Then Brent said the opening prayer. Afterwards we read this poem:

Oh so many branches
Are on my family tree.
Each one tells a name from
My family history.

Grandma’s there and Grandpa,
And lots and lots of greats.
Each of these fine folks gave
Me all my many traits.

Branches that are empty
Show names we haven’t found.
But I’m sure to find them
If I just look around.

Filling in the branches
Sure makes my tree look neat.
When I know them all, then
My tree will be complete.

Then came the lesson and activity part. I found the idea for it here and used the tree template they had.


Train Lover was excited for this part!


I found pictures around the house and traced circles around all the faces. Brent cut them out and Train Lover and I glued them to the tree. I just used construction paper and scrapbook paper for the background. Once we completed the tree we talked about our family and had the little guy point to family members when we asked where they were. We also asked to point out where his 2 grandpas and 2 grandmas were, and he did it no problem! He seemed to think it was cool he had 2 of them.


Here's the finished product! 

I think I'm going to hang the original in a frame and then print out a smaller copy to put in the little guys Sunday bag. Such a fun and simple lesson that everyone enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment