Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sunday Can

A couple weeks ago for FHE (Family Home Evening, you can learn more about it here) we talked about the Sabbath Day and how important it was. Lessons in our home are short for Train Lover to stay focused the whole time. For this lesson, we created a Sunday Can. It's a can filled with strips of paper that have different ideas of things you can do on Sunday to keep it a holy day. The list can be found here. Some of the ideas included writing letters to family or missionaries, reading about an ancestor, visiting a neighbor, and drawing a picture of what you did for the day.

Each Sunday we choose a strip of paper out of the jar and do the activity. We know he is young, and he doesn't understand what he is doing right now, but that doesn't stop us from teaching. Parents need to teach while their kids are young. As Alma 37:35 says, "O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God."

Today's activity from the can was to write in our journal. Two year old's can't write, but I knew he could help me do something. I talked to him about his day and asked what he remembered. Then I wrote down what he told me and had him color the paper after.

Here is his first journal page:


I know that it is by "small and simple things are great things brought to pass" (Alma 37:6). I'm grateful for the chance I have to teach my little guy good values here in the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment