Wednesday, April 2, 2014

April Meal Plan + Day 1: Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches

So...I'm weird when it comes to cooking. There are weeks that I cook daily and have fun with it followed by weeks of not cooking much of anything and doing simple meals instead (if you can call them meals). I want to change that!

I've been reading a lot about freezer meals and crockpot cooking lately. I found a monthly meal plan online and just decided to go for it! So for the month of April, I will be making all our dinner meals in the crockpot. You can find the meal plan for the month if you go to the following website:



I did miss doing yesterday's meal because I didn't have a chance to go grocery shopping until today. But I was able to make it today, even though we didn't get home until 2 and the food didn't get in the crockpot until 3. We ate dinner at 7. That's great timing for a crockpot meal!

Tonight's meal was Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches. It was very quick to put together and I had most of the ingredients already.

Set your crockpot on low and then add 3 lbs. of deli ham.
I found some for $1.97/lb.


Mix together the following:
2 cups apple juice
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. relish
2 tsp. yellow mustard
1 tsp. paprika


Pour the mixture over the ham and stir it all together.
Cover the crockpot and let it cook for 4 hours.


This is what it looks like after 4 hours!


Voila! Here's our lovely hot ham and cheese sandwiches we had for dinner.
We used Kaiser rolls and swiss cheese and toasted them in the toaster oven.



Now, what did we think of the recipe?

Overall, it was good. It was warm, filling, and had a good flavor (and I HATE relish!) to it. It paired nicely with chips and potato salad.

There are a lot of leftovers and we now have a meal in the freezer to enjoy another day. That makes me happy!

However, I don't think I will make this again. Not for a dinner. It would be great for a potluck though - cut up the ham and take smaller rolls. That's actually what we are going to take to the church potluck on Sunday in between sessions of General Conference.

2 comments:

  1. Did you like the relish in it? The relish looks like it wouldn't ruin the recipe if you skipped it. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the relish is needed for this recipe because that's what adds the most flavor. If you take it out it would be pretty bland. I don't like pickles or relish, but it was good in this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete