Sunday, April 6, 2014

Day 5: Juicy Pot Roast

First off, my Grandpa Gifford passed away this morning. I do not have time to post all about him right now as I am rushing to pack and leave for the airport in a few hours. I will write about him more later. He will be missed and I love him. I know he is in a better place and is no longer in pain.


Life does go on though, so I feel like I should continue writing my blog post on recipes. I will be gone a week and miss doing it, but I will resume when I get home.

Today we had Pot Roast. I am not a fan of pot roast but I gave it a shot!

You will need:
3-4 medium onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
3-4 lbs. beef chuck roast (I used shoulder)
1 1/2 c. brewed coffee (I used 1 c. apple juice and 1/2 c. water)
1/4 c. soy sauce
Layer half of the onions and garlic into the crockpot.


Add the meat.


Pour the liquid mixture over the meat.


Cover with remaining onions and garlic.


Cook on low 9-10 hours.
Ours cooked for 10 hours, and I felt it was too chewy.
Brent said it was perfect.
So...trial and error for the correct time.


This is the final product!
Separate the meat and onions from the liquid.


Looks yummy right?!


Add the juices to a saucepan and whisk in cornstarch.
I used 1/4 c., and then another 1/8 c. to make it more thick.


Next time I do it, I'll mix the cornstarch separately in a container with some cold water.
The gravy had chunks of cornstarch since I just added it to the hot liquid.


Final product!
I didn't care for it since roast just isn't my thing.
Brent grew up having roast every Sunday and hated it.
He told me he loved this recipe though!
So, I would say it was a success!

2 comments:

  1. If you make a roux using flour and butter, you can whisk that into the liquid and get a good, creamy gravy without any lumps. I hate using cornstarch for gravy; it always makes for lumpy gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've done it both ways in my cooking classes. I was just following the recipe. I do prefer using cornstarch though because it makes it look glossy instead of flat. But I forgot the trick to it was mixing it in a separate bowl with cold water, then adding it to the hot. If you add it directly to something hot it just chunks up. Ick.

    ReplyDelete