Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Honey Wheat Bread

I love this recipe so much that I actually shared the link to it before I made my blog post about it!

I made this Honey Wheat Bread for Easter and took it to a friend's home for Easter dinner. They were just as amazed as we were that bread can be made in the crockpot. Even better, they really liked it!
 
Mix together 2/3 c. powdered milk with 2 c. warm water.
Don't make the water too warm or you will kill the yeast.


Add the following to the milk mixture:
1/4 c. honey
3/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. oil
1 pkg. active dry yeast
2 Tbsp. flax seed (optional, but I added them)
and 1/2 of the flour (You will need 3 c. wheat flour and 1 c. white flour)
I added 2 c. wheat flour.


Mix together the ingredients in the bowl.


Add the remaining flour, in my case 1 c. wheat flour and 1 c. white flour.


I had to knead it together a little at the end, but Brent didn't on Sunday when he made it.


Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray.
Add the dough to the crockpot.
I pressed mine in a bit to make it more even on top.


Cook on High for 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
I would say 2 hours and 10 minutes is perfect.
Mine cooked the full 2 1/2 hours today and one section was very hard.


Here is the final bread loaf!


It's normal bread, not like a banana bread texture.


Doesn't it look tasty?
I also had some with raspberry jam and that was fabulous.


I LOVE this recipe! I never would have imagined you could make bread in a crockpot. When I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it out. I'm glad I did. I think this will forever be a staple in our home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment