Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day 2: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Today's recipe was Chicken Tortilla Soup. I put everything into the crockpot around 11 this morning and we had dinner at 5:30. This recipe is a keeper!!!

You will need the following ingredients:
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can mild enchilada sauce
1 can pinto or black beans (I used black)
1 can diced green chilies
1 bag frozen corn
1 qt. chicken broth
1 medium onion
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper


Put everything straight into the crockpot.
After you open all the cans and packages of course!
Cover and cook on low heat.


This is what it looked like after 6 hours.


Take out the chicken and set it on a plate.


Then, shred the chicken.
I've found that using two forks is the easiest way to do that.


Put all the chicken back into the crockpot and stir it all together.


Enjoy your soup!
We added sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips to our bowls.


We had enough left over to put in a gallon sized Ziploc.
I put it in the freezer to save for another day.



This recipe was very quick and simple to make. I had all of the ingredients at home except for the frozen corn and fresh cilantro. Paired with a fresh salad and homemade bread (thanks to a friend!), this meal was very filling.

If I make this again, I plan to change the following:
  • Use only 1/2 an onion and caramelize it in a pan before putting it in the crockpot. The onions were too crunchy for my liking.
  • We didn't care for how much liquid was in the soup, it was a little thin. Next time I will either reduce the chicken broth amount or add cornstarch at the end to thicken it up.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! We'll have to try this. I like the easy step by step images and directions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete